Working on a home renovation can be a stressful, and often times you find yourself grasping for ideas which don’t come naturally to you. In these situations, working with a contractor can help you gain insight into new perspectives into remodelling or renovating certain areas of your home. In fact, simply getting a glimpse into the mind of a contractor often allows you to look at your home in a different way. Often, your vision of a project may be simply unrealistic, and your lack of experience may negatively affect the outcome of the project. For your benefit when planning your next home renovation, we’ve assembled some lessons which can be of help. Here are some of the fundamental do’s and don’t many contractors will list as most important in the success of a project:
- Don’t delay decisions until the last moment: The success of a renovation project depends on careful, precise planning and budgeting. If you want your home renovation to go well, the best thing you can do is make all the decisions before work starts in full. This way you have an idea of how the decision will affect the end project, and how to budget accordingly. Even small issues such as trim, paint, flooring type and appliance selection may affect the timeline and create problems with space and function. Taking in every eventuality with the eye of a contractor is your best bet to avoid delays and issues.
- Do stick with decisions: Though changes are inevitable, avoiding major changes to the plan after orders have been placed or construction has started is the best possible thing to do. Every time you change your mind, you are costing yourself unnecessary money and your contractor extra time. For this reason, it’s best to plan every minute detail before you start construction or place any orders.
- Don’t buy your own materials: Most contractors provide the materials they use for construction at a lower price. While your company or construction worker may mark up the prices for materials, you are assured you are getting quality products that will work with the interior. Always cooperate with your contractor to be assured that you are getting the best quality and choice materials for the job.
- Do listen to your contactor’s suggestions: Though you may have ideas which you will want to stand to, often times a homeowner’s inexperienced eye will cause problems which can be anticipated by experienced contractors. Be open to the suggestions of professionals, though remember that your renovation should be your project and accommodate your specifications.
- Do plan for overhead: The number one mistake made by homeowners when renovating is underestimating costs, and ending up with unfinished or shoddy work. Homeowners have been shown to consistently set unrealistic expectations, and lower than possible budgets for renovation projects. Remember to take into account installation in addition to construction, should you be renewing electrical, plumbing or gas fixtures, as well as any appliances. These costs, as well as costs for new flooring, windows and doors, creep up quickly and suddenly homeowners are faced with the prospect of paying much more than they originally believed. When planning, remember to do research and budget accordingly to costs.
- Do prepare your home for renovation: Generally speaking, living in your home during the renovation is not a good idea unless you are only renovating a single room. Try not to get in the way of your contractors, and allow them to complete the job without having to work around the home’s residents.
- Don’t ever work without a foolproof design: Your project, depending on scope, will require architectural blueprints, complete interior design and a talented builder/team who can help you achieve your specifications and plan every aspect of the renovation. This way, you avoid mistakes and shoddy work, and prevent major changes from having to be made during the project.
Renovations and Remodeling Services
A & R Renovations Inc. is a company dedicated to quality home and interior renovations and remodelling services. Working within the Greater Toronto Area, our company is your number one choice for all forms of renovations and improvements, having served the area for over 20 years. We specialize in bathroom, basement and kitchen renovations, but are completely versed in all manners of renovations and remodelling, offering commercial and residential services. Our unique approach allows us to work one on one with clients, focusing on a single project at a time. This means we are able to invest our complete enthusiasm into your dream renovation.
We ensure to serve our clients with enthusiasm, professionalism and integrity, offering trustworthy skills and reliable staff. Offering a 1 year limited warranty, we ensure that all our work is done to your complete and utter satisfaction and guarantee 100% customer satisfaction throughout the GTA, including Markham, Vaughan, Brampton, Mississauga, Richmond Hill, North York, and other locations throughout. Please visit our website or take a look at our project gallery for more information about what we can do for you and your home today: http://www.aandrrenovations.com. Call us today for a free consultation at: 416-677-9316. We are always happy to answer any and all of your questions regarding our services.